Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bad Week

Ashlyn, Addie Kate and I have all been sick with RSV. As most know this is really dangerous for babies under the age of 3 months. Ashlyn started coughing and becoming sick Wednesday, took her to the doctor Friday morning and was told that she and Addison have RSV and that it should be getting better. Saturday morning Ashlyn woke us up crying about 7am, I noticed something was wrong right away. Her breathing was labored and her chest looked concave. She was pale and very difficult to console. Franklin called the pediatrician and we were told to take her to Primary Childrens. A few hours later we were admitted (much to our surprise), we thought she may just need some suction and maybe a breathing treatment. Ashlyn was given oxygen and underwent deep suction every two hours. The suction was sad to watch but I think it may have even been harder for the nurses that had to do it. Her oxygen was low and her respiration rate and heart rate were both high and remained so until she received an Allbuterol breathing treatment. Within a few hours her stats improved and she was on the road to recovery. The nurse was able to turn off her oxygen at 4am Sunday morning and her levels remained great. We were discharged Sunday afternoon and were so happy to be heading home to Addison with baby Ashlyn.

It was so hard for me to see my baby hooked up to multiple machines watching her struggle to breathe. I know that she was in no real danger but it was still hard to witness. I have been so sick myself with RSV since leaving the hospital and have received so much help with dinner (thanks Amber) and with Addison and Ashlyn from the wonderful grandparents and Franklin. I am hoping for a few quiet weeks, we are all exhausted!






2 comments:

Matt and Brooke said...

Wow! So happy she's home now and hope you get to feeling like your young self again. Watching your children sick is hard but being sick right along with them is never easy.

Unknown said...

It pains my heart to see the pictures of Ashlyn in the hospital. I am so thankful that when Ayla had RSV last month we only had to do breathing treatments at home.
I hope you all are on the road to recovery!
Miss you!